Header
  
 

 

facebook Come, check us out on Facebook. Sound off about our subdivision. Constructive comments are welcome - what is good and what needs changing.  
 
 
 


 
 
Notes and Information

Welcome to our subdivision's website!

Here you will find news and updates for various activities that affect our subdivision and our neighborhood.

 

Looking for our Subdivision Bylaws? Click here to download a PDF copy. (4.2 MB)

---   Click on the following to skip to notes for the year indicated

Notes and Information 2010

Notes and Information 2009

Notes and Information 2008

Notes and Information 2007

Notes and Information 2006

Notes and Information 2005

Notes and Information 2004

Notes and Information 2003

Homeowners 2011 annual meeting

Join us to vote for important decision regarding your subdivision dues and to hear about the board's activities in the past year.

November 29th 2011 at 7PM

Canton Town Hall building, meeting room "A"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011 Homeowner Safety

Lock your cars! Remove GPS, Radar Detectors, Cell Phones, Computers, ect.

Make sure nothing is in sight for anyone to attempt a break in to your vehicle.

Please pull your cars off the streets for the snowy season for the plow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011 Fall Subdivision Garage Sale

The Fall Garage Sale is scheduled for:

Thursday, September 22nd thru Sunday, September 25th..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weeds are starting to take over many lawns

with the hot summer we've had, that weeds are starting to take over many lawns and driveways and shrubs are growing wild.

This needs to be addresses immediately by the appropriate homeowners. Letters have been sent to those specific homeowners.

These unkept lawns and driveways, make the subdivision look bad.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cutting down dying trees

The Wayne County Forestry Division will be cutting down dying trees in our subdivision that are between the sidewalk and the street.

Once the trees are cut and the roots are ground up, it is up to the homeowners to replace them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011 Spring Subdivision Garage Sale

The Spring Garage Sale is scheduled for:

Thursday, May 19 thru Sunday, May 22nd.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A note from the President of the association

Please make sure you pay the subdivision dues by March 31st!

A $50 late fee will be applied if not received by then.

Thank you

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

2011 UPDATES

- We had our subdivision annual meeting on December 2nd 2010. Please _CLICK_HERE_ to download a PDF copy of the meeting notes.

-Make sure you are replacing your trees if they die

-Please observe the two vacant homes in the area to prevent crime.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

           Back to top

2010 UPDATES

-Thank you to all who made the picnic a success!

-BOARD MEETING ON APRIL 6TH 2010! Be there if your on the board! More information coming soon!

-Also included are the members of the various committees.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Back to top

2009 UPDATES

The new members of the 2009 board are in the "BOARD" section of this website.

Also included are the mambers of the various committees.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Back to top

2008 ANNUAL SUBDIVISION MEETING

December 3rd, 2008

The new members of the 2009 board are in the "BOARD" section of this website.

Also included are the mambers of the various committees.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

                Back to top  

July 16th , 2007

Annual Subdivision Picnic!

Don't forget, the Subdivision picnic is Saturday July 28th from 12 to 4PM. See you there!!!

Covington Square Subdivision Social Committee

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 15th , 2007

Asphalt walkway improvement.

Dave Paul, one of our neighbors, has volunteered to take bids from various contractors to see about improving our
asphalt walkway on the other side of the bridge.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 15th , 2007

Cattail problem around the pond.

More info in our "Pond Project" section.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

           Back to top

November 20th , 2006

ANNUAL MEETING
COVINGTON SQUARE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION
NOVEMBER 21st, 2006 AT 6:30PM
PUBLIC LIBRARY

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 8 th , 2006

2006 Subdivision Picnic Photos!

Photos from our 2006 Subdivision picnic. Take a look!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 15th , 2006

Subdivision Picnic!

Don't forget, the Subdivision picnic is this Saturday from 12 to 4PM. See you there!!!

Covington Square Subdivision Social Committee

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 22nd , 2006

June 2006 Summer Newsletter

The President of our subdivision Mr. John Silagy has put together a newsletter. Take a look or download it in PDF format:

June 2006 Summer Newsletter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 21st , 2006

Annual Garage Sale June 22nd, 23rd and 24th.

Clean out your closets, clean out your basement, clean out your garage, clean out your house!

It's time for the Covington Square Subdivision Garage Sale. Join your neighbor, make some gas money. Learn the ancient skill of bartering the deal. Make room for that beautiful NEW IKEA furniture you're buying.

HAVE FUN!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 6th , 2006

Website upgrade

We have upgraded our hosting plan for the website and now everything should work much faster. We also have a lot of space available so we will keep all of the existing contents and continue to build over it. One thing we lost was the number of visits on the counter so we'll have to start from zero again but looking forward to many visits in the future. Please enjoy your stay and let me know if you have comments or suggestions.

webmaster@covingtonsquare.org

              Back to top

November 10th , 2005

ANNUAL MEETING
COVINGTON SQUARE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION
NOVEMBER 14th, 2005 AT 7:00PM
THE SUMMIT - ASH ROOM

Please plan to join us on November 14th for our annual meeting. Our by-laws state that we need volunteers for all Board and Commitee positions, otherwise a Management Company will take over and double our annual dues. See you on Monday!

The flyer (PDF version)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 10th , 2005

Pond Photos

Yogi was kind enough to take some new photos of the pond. Take a look!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 6th , 2005

Subdivision Picnic Photos

Photos from this years picnic. Take a look!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 24th , 2005

Subdivision Picnic

Don't forget! The Subdivision picnic is this Saturday from 11am to 3pm. See you there!!!

Covington Square Subdivision Committee

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 9th , 2005

AUGUST 2005 UPDATE

FROM THE DESK OF THE PRESIDENT

Hello again. I hope everyone had a great 4th of July. Thanks for everyone that participated in
our annual garage sale in June and I hope you were able to sell lots of your things. Thanks to
Mike Young and Cathy Veri for setting that up.
Just want to remind those homeowners living along the detention pond and floodplain to cut, or
have your lawn company cut, two mower widths past the tree line in your backyard. This will
give the floodplain a cleaner and more manicured look. Also, the grass will not interfere with
the growth of all of the trees.
Thanks to Lori Treder for taking bids and contracting with a company, "Fathers and Sons
Construction," for repairing the asphalt by the bridge and along the walkway near Lilley Road
and also ramping the ground at the bridge. A great improvement! !
The wooden planks on the bridge will get a new coat of stain later this summer.

Summer Vacation
If you take a vacation this summer, please make arrangements to have your lawn cut. In this
heat, it doesn't take long for the lawns to get unsightly. Tim Skeeters (734-397-1370), a
resident of our sub, cuts lawns for many homeowners in the sub; and I am sure he would be glad
to accommodate you.

Dead Trees/Dead Branches
Again this year - as in the past - the Board of Directors is asking all homeowners to please trim
off any dead branches from your trees between the sidewalk and the street. Also, low-lying
branches (called sucker branches) should be cut off. These branches will affect the growth of
your tree as well as the nutrients supplied to the tree. Also, if you have a dead tree - it must
be replaced. Keeping your trees looking great keeps our subdivision great. The Lawn and
Tree Committee has already contacted some homeowners and will making another survey of the
subdivision soon. Thanks to the homeowners that have planted new trees this year.

Vandalism
We have had some vandalism in our neighborhood the past month - paintballs shot at both car
and house windows, some homes being T.P.'d and For Sale signs removed. Please keep and
eye-out, and if you see anything please report the incident to the police.

Cement Work
Sometime in August, the Board is planning to have the most serious broken cement in the streets
and common area sidewalks replaced. Just a reminder: if the concrete in your sidewalk or
driveway is broken, it is the responsibility of you - the homeowner - not the Subdivision
Association. Contact one of the Board members if you would like to use the same contractor
we are using for the common areas.

Summer Picnic
Our subdivision picnic will be held on Saturday, August 27th at the soccer field (same place as
last year). Please watch your mailboxes a week or two before the picnic for flyers describing
all of the activities. Thanks to Mike Young for spearheading this event.

New Homeowners
A lot of houses have sold in our subdivision this summer. PLEASE make sure that you take the
time to welcome any new neighbors to our subdivision! ! ! New Homeowners: PLEASE come to
the picnic so we can all get to know you.

House Remodeling
If you having any permanent construction done to the outside of your home, i.e., swimming pool,
deck, etc, you are reminded to get approval from the Architectural Committee (Yogi Pate1 -734-
394-0489 & Tim Collins - 734-394-0489). Then, make sure you get a permit from the
Township. Both are required for you to proceed with actual building.

Lawn Watering
Canton Township is asking all residents to volunteer to water only every other day. Even house
numbers water on even days and odd house numbers on odd days. Also, we are asked to not
water our lawns between 6:00 am & 9:00 am

Mail Boxes
A handyman has been hired to repair the mailboxes this year. Approximately 40 mailboxes have
been repaired in some manner. If you have mailbox concerns, please call John Silagy at 734-
397-5574.

Landscape
Thanks to Lori Treder, o&landscape committee chairperson, and her summer volunteers, for
keeping the subdivision common areas neat and trim this year. The subdivision has been looking
real good. It appears, however, that this might be Lori's last year in that position. She has
earned a well-deserved rest! The Board will be looking for a volunteer or two to head the
Landscape Committee next year. If you have a green thumb (or not) this could be for you. Call
John Silagy (734-397-5574) if you are interested in volunteering.

Detention Pond
The Pond Committee, in late spring, contracted with "All About Ponds" to put in an aerator in
our detention pond. The aerator is intended to keep the pond cleaner and circulate the water
better. Thanks to Shelly Babcock, Larry Ristovski, Amy Bis, Roger Faber and Gino Polidori for
their hard work and coordination. Also, later this summer, the Pond Committee is looking into
stocking the detention pond with a variety of fish.
After three years of waiting and waiting, the wildflowers are finally coming in like gangbusters:
daisies, black-eyed susans, lillys, and etc., in and around the detention pond. The lilly pads and
other water plants are spreading nicely in the detention pond. A big "thank you" to all of the
homeowners living along the detention pond that mulched last year's dead flowers right up to the
water line. We are now seeing the rewards.
Many species of wildlife are coming back again this summer. Herons, ducks (live ones), turtles,
frogs, small minnows, etc. have been spotted swimming in the detention pond and forebay area.
In August, flowering bushes will be planted at the west end of the detention pond floodplain.
Also, the rocky soil will be cleared and the dry clay will be tilled and mixed with topsoil and
seed for a more pleasant look.

Suggestions
We welcome suggestions to the Social Committee (Mike Young - 734-397-3057) or Board
members (Larry Ristovski, Secretary - 734-398-6666, Yogi Patel, Treasurer - 734-394-0346 and
myself)), for making this the BEST SUBDIVISION IN CANTON.

John L. Silagy
President

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 14, 2005

Aerator

This Saturday "All About Ponds" installed an aerator (bubbler) in our pond. This will help prevent the algae from taking over and will keep the pond water nice and clean. You might want to take a look at it or check back soon in our Pond Project Photo Gallery for the latest shots from the pond.

Covington Square Subdivision Pond Committee

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 5, 2005

BRIDGE CLOSURE OVER TRUESDALE DRAIN

Homeowners:

For your information: the Bridge going to the school will be closed at 9:00 am on Tuesday, June 7th until 9:00 pm on Wednesday June 8th to all foot traffic.The damaged asphalt on the north side of the bridge was repaired this past week and a gradual incline to the bridge was formed. No more bike tires or baby stroller tires to be damaged. The asphalt contractor will be sealing the new asphalt Tuesday morning and it takes about 36 hours to dry. If the sealant gets on shoes or tires it will be almost impossible to get off.

Much thanks to Lori Treder for making this project happen after many years of discussion. We appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

Board of Directors Covington Square Subdivision Association

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 6, 2005

Pond Project update

The 2005 Fertilizer report was distributed the other day. As always, we'll keep a copy of it in our Pond Project section.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               Back to top

November 17, 2004

We're in the papers!

The Detroit News wrote an article about our award.

To view the article on the Detroit News website CLICK HERE.

To view the article as a PDF document CLICK HERE.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 13, 2004

Congratulations all!

Our Covington Square Subdivision is the recipient of the Environmental Excellence Award 2004 for our pond.

An email from the president of our Association Mr. John Silagy:

Just to let you all know that Joyce and I attended an awards banquet at the Summit on Thursday night. This the second year that Canton Township has had this event and it honors different aspects of landscape design for neighborhood entryways, residential landscape, and commercial landscape in Canton. Included for the first time, was an award for environmental excellence for ponds. Needless to say our detention pond won the best overall environmental excellence award for 2004. I was given a framed picture of our forebay area with ducks swimming in it and I also was given a sign to display. The picture shows the many water plants and vegetation surrounding our pond. While the moderator was handing out the awards, a picture of our pond was being displayed on a screen for everyone to see. The person, that selected our pond from all others to receive this award, told the audience that our pond was retrofitted two years ago and that he liked the way our pond had a natural look rather than a completely manicured look. He was also very impressed with the different wildlife he saw. It made me feel very proud for our subdivision and for all of you that volunteered your time over that last two years.
John S.

An email from his wife Mrs. Joyce Silagy:

John forgot to mention the humor involved with this evening. When we got the invitation, we both thought it was a come-on by some vendor and that all of the houses had received invitations saying we were "finalists." There was no mention about the category of the award, or what. We attended out of courtesy. Were we surprised to read the program and find out that the pond was the winner! And for environmental design--that sounds serious. Some people got just certificates, and then some people got actual awards. Our subdivision got an actual award. I was so proud of all of the work you, the Pond Committee, did! Just goes to show what a group of people can do who put their heads together to solve a problem. See you at the annual meeting.
Joyce

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November2, 2004

Minutes from the Annual Homeowners Association Meeting for Covington Square Subdivision on November 1st, 2004.

John Silagy, President, opened the meeting up at 6:20 pm. He took the time to show off the Design Excellent awards for the detention pond. John and his wife Joyce bought cookies and bottled water to celebrate the achievement. John thanked the pond committee members for their hard work during the year.

John then discussed the various pond accomplishments during 2004. They were indicated on the handout.

Next, Shelly Babcock discussed about having a fountain put in the detention pond for esthetic appeal as well as environmental appeal. Shelly had talked to a fountain contractor who came out to look at our pond. As part of the agreement, he would install in the spring as well as store the fountain for the winter. He would clean out the fountain periodically as well as treat any algae that may appear. The only thing the contractor wouldn?t do, is install any electrical work. We would need to get in touch with an electrician. Maintenance for the pond and fountain could be approximately $105.00 per month during the summer. The cost of the fountain would be about $3,000.00 - $6,000.00 depending on the size and style. The board decided to try to limit the cost to about $4,000.00.

Shelly volunteered to get more details during the winter and spring before proceeding.

Larry Ristovski then talked about stocking the detention pond with various types of fish. Most of the fish farms are closed for the winter, so he will explore more in the spring. Larry figured he would need about $500.00 to stock the pond the first year.

Monica Baker, treasurer, went over the expenses for 2004. She also discussed a proposed budget for 2005. A new category, General Maintenance was proposed, so as to take care of any road or sidewalk concerns as well as the asphalt walkway to the school. Anticipated dues, not including the proposed fountain, would be $201.00. With the fountain, the dues would be $229.00 per household. The $229.00 amount was passed by those homeowners in attendance.

John Silagy then proceeded with the nominations for officers and committees. John (397-5574) volunteered to be President for 2005. Yogi Patel (394-0346) volunteered to be Treasurer and Larry Ristovski (398-6666) volunteered to be Secretary. Committee members who volunteered either at the meeting or later are as follows:


Newsletter - Rasa Skeeters,
Website - Larry Ristovski,
Trees/ Lawns - Joyce Silagy,
Bylaws - Shelly Babcock,
Landscape & snow removal - Lori Treder,
Detention pond & floodplain - Shelly Babcock, Larry Ristovski, Amy Bis, Yogi Patel and Roger Faber
Architectural - Yogi Patel, Tim Collins
Social - Mike Young, Doug Baker
Mailbox - Tim Fesko
Flyer Distribution - Amy Bis, Meg Collins

More volunteers will be sought in early spring to help out.

The meeting was adjorned at 8:30 pm.

John Silagy
President, Covington Square Subdivision

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 22, 2004

ANNUAL MEETING
COVINGTON SQUARE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION
NOVEMBER 1st, 2004 AT 6:15PM
CANTON PUBLIC LIBRARY - COMMUNITY ROOM

Please plan to join us on November 1st for our annual meeting. Discusions will include 2005 dues, Budget for 2005, elections of officers and committee members and other topics. All homeowners are welcome.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 7, 2004

October 11, 2004 ? Town Hall Meeting - Meet your Elected Officials

Firestation #1 ?Canton Center at Heritage Park Drive - 7:00 ? 9:00 pm

With the elections coming up in November, the following elected officials will be at Firestation #1 to answer any questions and concerns

Guest Speakers ? Tom Yack, Supervisor

Phil LaJoy ? Representative, 21st District

Bruce Patterson ? Senator, 7th District

John Sullivan ? Wayne County Commissioner

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 30, 2004

Covington Square Subdivision Picnic Photos

Finaly, the photos from the picnic are here. Take a look!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 11, 2004

Covington Square Subdivision Picnic

This years picnic will be on Saturday, August 14th. See you there!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 8, 2004

Pond Project Web Photo Gallery Update

Added this years first web photo gallery. Take a look at some interesting photos from arround the pond!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 19, 2004

Important note from our subdivision association president Mr. John Silagy

WILD GRASS PROBLEM - The last 3 years our neighborhood has been overtaken by wild grass (known as Onion Grass). This grass grows twice as fast as the normal grass so it is easy to spot. Right now, all grass is in the process of spreading their seeds, including Onion Grass - so now is the time to treat your lawn. My wife heard on the radio that Lowe's has something to treat this Onion Grass. I called over their, but the garden people couldn't help me. If you fertilize your lawn yourself, you might want to check it out. I also called Home Depot, but they couldn't help me either. Check with your lawn service to see if they provide treatment for this Onion Grass. I checked with Trugreen Chemlawn 248-960-1216 and they are currently spraying lawns in our subdivision for Onion Grass prevention.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 5, 2004

Important note from our subdivision association president Mr. John Silagy

I just want all of the homeowners to know that I will, once again, be putting important information about our subdivision and Canton Township in my column (The President's Perspective). If you have any questions about any of the information, please call me at 397-5574.

John Silagy - 2004 President, Covington Square Subdivision.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 9, 2004

Important Canton community sports information

Just got this in from the president of our association Mr. John Silagy

Community Sport Information Important Community Sport Information

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 2, 2004

Operating budget for 2004

Sorry for the delay, we finally have this years operating budget.

Left-click the icon below to view or right-click and choose "Save target As.." to save to your local hard drive.

2004 Operating budget 2004 Operating budget

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 2, 2004

Notes from our annual meeting

Here are the notes from our annual meeting held back in December.

Left-click the icon below to view or right-click and choose "Save target As.." to save to your local hard drive.

Annual Meeting Notes The Annual meeting notes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

              Back to top

November 14, 2003

ANNUAL MEETING
COVINGTON SQUARE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION
DECEMBER 8, 2003 AT 7PM
CANTON PUBLIC LIBRARY - COMMUNITY ROOM

Please plan to join us on December 8th for our annual meeting. During the meeting, we will give the year-end budget report and present the proposed budget for next year. Also at the meeting, we will be looking for homeowners to volunteer to be on the Board for next year. We will need a minimum of three people. If you would like to do your part for our neighborhood and have a little time to give, please plan on attending the meeting and volunteering for the Board.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 21, 2003

A few updates...

Some important dates for our community in the "President's Perspective" section, the July "Pond Bulletin" in the "Pond Project" section and some new photos of our pond in the "Pond Photo Gallery".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 28, 2003

Our Subdivision Picnic is August 2nd !

August 2nd is the Covington Square Annual Family Picnic! Are you coming?

Flyers have been delivered throughout the subdivision but here's a PDF document just in case.

2003 Annual Picnic The 2003 Annual Family Picnic

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 16, 2003

All homeowner dues have been paid in full!

I just received a note from our subdivision Treasurer - Monica Baker that all homeowner dues have been paid for this year and last.

Thank you to all homeowners of Covington Square Subdivision!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 06, 2003

The President's Perspective update

Our Subdivision Association President has added some important dates to his section of this web site. Click on the button to the left and check out what's new...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 5, 2003

The President's Perspective

New section of our website added where the president of our subdivision association will post a message every month or so...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 4, 2003

Panoramic photos

New stunning panoramic photos of our pond in the pond photo gallery...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 2, 2003

SUBDIVISION-WIDE GARAGE SALE FOR COVINGTON SQUARE

Due to overwhelming response from last year?s sub-wide garage sale, we are doing it again. The date has been set: June 27-29, 2003, Friday ? Saturday- Sunday. This is the weekend after the Canton Liberty Fest. Again, you can open at whatever time you like, on one day, two or all three. The board will provide signage at Trent Drive at Lilley and Oakland Drive at Lilley like last year. Good news: the sign cost was budgeted for in this year?s budget, so we will not be collecting $3 from each household. Depending on participation, we may also include an advertisement for the sale in the Detroit Free Press. If you are planning to participate, please e-mail Cathy Veri by June 13th at: secretary@covingtonsquare.org THANK YOU!

FAMILY PICNIC DATE SET FOR AUGUST 2nd

We had close to 150 people at last year?s picnic. Let?s see if we can get an even BIGGER turnout this year! You and your family are invited to this year?s picnic on August 2nd from 12 noon to 3pm. The place will again be Field School. And we promise to have a bigger tent this year! This year?s picnic will be Bring Your Own Beverage to cut down on some cost. And also, if you would like to provide a dessert or fruit, you are welcome to do so. To volunteer on the picnic committee, please contact Cathy Veri at 734-394-0552 or e-mail at: secretary@covingtonsquare.org We will meet sometime in April for one brief planning meeting. It?s not much work and it?s fun, so please volunteer!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 1, 2003

Pond Commitee Meeting Minutes!

Check "The Pond Project" section for details...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 14, 2003

New Fertilizer report has been distributed

Check your mailboxes for the new fertilizer report. You'll find a copy in "The Pond Project" section. Also, the minutes from the last Pond Committee meeting held February 22 ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 27, 2003

Pond Commitee Meeting Minutes!

Check "The Pond Project" section for details...

 

The Homeowners Association Dues

The "dues" letter is out and Monica Baker, our treasurer, gives a great explanation why the dues are slightly higher this year. We wanted to take it a little further and with the help of Shelly Babcock now we compare our dues with those of our neighboring subdivisions. Here's the comparison table:

 

Subdivision
Association Dues
Fairway Pines
$425.00
Central Park Estates
$400.00
Fairways West
$350.00
Echo Forest
$350.00
Covington Square
$236.00
Glengary
$200.00
Westfield Estates
$200.00
Pheasent Woods
$175.00

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 16, 2003

2003 Budget and Association Dues

Selecting the icon below will display a copy of the 2003 Planned Budget for Covington Square. The big change for 2003 is the project we are managing along with Canton Township to retrofit our Detention Pond. The financial requirements for this project have elevated the Association Dues for 2003, and we expect that this number should be reduced significantly in 2004.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding these plans, please feel free to email Monica Baker (our Treasurer) at treasurer@covingtonsquare.org

These numbers were shared during the 2002 Final Association meeting in November, 2002.

2003 Budget Proposal The 2003 Budget Proposal

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The insect killing our Ash trees has been identified !

Up until a short time ago, the diebacks and complete death of ash trees in the Wayne County area had been a mystery. At first, the cause was thought to be a disease called ash yellowing. We know a fair bit about ash yellow and there is no real control for it but to keep the tree healthy and out of stress. We have also seen some borer damage to the trees caused by the redheaded ash borer, which is mostly a secondary insect that attacks after the trees are weakened by something else. The US Department of Agriculture and Michigan State Univ. have been working hard to rule out all possible causes and get to the main cause of this dieback. As of July 12, 2002, we have pinpointed the cause, a borer formally known to North America that has come from Asia. This borer named the EMERALD GREEN ASH BORER by the Department of Agriculture has been determined as the cause. This borer is controllable with trunk injections on a yearly basis similar to birch tree injections for bronze birch borers. The cost of these injections are based on the circumference of the tree requiring an injection for every 5-6 inches around the tree. Cost is based on the number of injections and treatment is recommended on trees with minimum or no damage at all showing. As always, a tree with the correct watering and fertilization will recover from this and other tree stresses more easily.

This information was provided to us by Turf Pro Inc. Their president, Michael Weakland, is contracted by our subdivision to maintain the common lawns and trees. You can contact them at 734-699-0010 if you would like to hire them to manage or correct any problems you may have with your lawns or trees.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More on dead trees

Do you have a dead tree in front of your house? If so, Canton Township has a Tree Ordinance (Select this to view) that affects each one of us. The trees in front of your house between the sidewalk and the curb are your property. And, if one of these trees die, it must be replaced. Select the link above titled 'Trees in Covington Square' for more details. Basically, you must remove the dead tree, and replace it with a tree of no less than 1.0 inch to 1.5 inches in diameter. The link above describes what types of tree's that Canton Township recommends. The tree ordinance also states 'one for one replacement', meaning if you have two trees, you will replace both of them.             Back to top  

 
 

Covington Square Logo

This page is best viewed with MS Internet Explorer at 1024x768 screen resolution

webmaster@covingtonsquare.org  


 
Quick Links